Big Cartel looking for Remote Full Stack Web Application Developer
We have an opportunity for an experienced web app developer to join our small but mighty team. We’re looking for a well-rounded and self-motivated Rails developer with a diverse set of skills including strong front-end expertise, a sharp eye for details, and the ability to bring designs to life.
In addition to working on our main product and service application, you’ll have your hands in a variety of small projects and tasks, like:
- Documenting, prioritizing and fixing bugs
- Assisting our support team with technical issues
- Deploying marketing releases for our community team
- Helping QA our releases to ensure they’re ready to ship
- Building and maintaining internal tools to help us work better
While we definitely want your sharp skills, we’re specifically looking for a great teammate who values creativity, respect, and an honest desire to support artists. Our mission is to help the designers, musicians, makers, and other artists that call Big Cartel home, and your work will be a critical part of keeping them happy and productive.
This is a full-time and salaried position that includes all of our awesome benefits like paid family leave, solid insurance, 401(k), and a generous PTO policy (we encourage you to take 4 weeks off annually and a 6 week sabbatical every 5 years!). You can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it really bugs us. That’s why we’re doing everything our small company can do to change that. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work for artists of all types all over the world.
Big Cartel is home to nearly a million independent stores around the world, and in the last decade they’ve generated BILLIONS of dollars in combined sales. On top of that, we have a product used by hundreds of thousands of people every day, and we’re constantly creating new features and plans to inspire and delight them.
- Empathy and strong written and verbal communication
- Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Postgres, Linux
- Web components (eg Stencil, Riot, React)
- Knowledge of SASS and LESS
- Templating languages such as HAML
- Testing frameworks such as Jasmine, Karma, Rspec and Capybara
- Object-oriented design
- Git and GitHub
Bonus Points for
- Remote pair programming using vim+tmux
- Experience with Ecommerce platforms
- Using MV* patterns to build large-scale applications
- Experience with BEM methodology
- Test driven design