BRAINJOLT looking for Full Stack Developer (Remote)
THE COMPANY: BRAINJOLT (brainjoltmedia.com)
What makes us different…
- We run one of the top 20 mobile websites in the USA, according to Quantcast (22words.com)
- Fully remote, we measure what matters and prioritize RESULTS over where you work
- #beatyesterday is our mantra… we optimize incrementally so we’re always beating our own records
- We’re scrappy doers who love getting into the weeds to solve problems…
- Titles don’t matter. Results and drive do. Everyone is a chief problem solver at Brainjolt
- Bureaucracy is bulls&*t. We don’t like red tape. We prefer to work biased to action, led by data
- We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we enjoy playing the game and being on the journey
THE OPPORTUNITY: FULL STACK DEVELOPER
We are in need of a full stack developer who loves to design, build, and iterate web-based software for massive audiences. We’re looking for a thought-partner who is also a data-geek. Someone who loves puzzling over hard problems, and making them elegantly simple. You’ll help us scale the infrastructure that powers some of the largest websites in the USA, working cross-functionally with data analysts, marketers, and growth hackers. We work as a team, which means we’re all radical owners of the outcome. And, there’s a lot of emojis and laughter along the way. The impact of this role is going to be huge…
- Work in our R&D division, Labs, doing whatever comes up (think of Labs like an on-going hack-a-thon…)
- Build cool, new things
- Automate and iterate on our code base that powers our data and marketing efforts
- Have comfort working with amorphous problems that might not have straightforward solutions (specifically with data)
- Build MVPs for internal tools, largely using Python (R would work, but we work mainly in Python)
- Work lean, fast, and iteratively while remaining curious, open, and flexible to deliver tools, scripts, and process improvement that will change our code base (and the company’s future)
- Server: Amazon EC2, Apache
- Database: MySQL
- Caching: Redis, Varnish, Cloudflare
- Adstack: Doubleclick for Publishers (DFP), Prebid.js
- Deployments: AWS OpsWorks with Chef
- Version control: GitHub
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent)
- EXPERIENCE: 2-4 years
- Proven working experience in web programming
- Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of Python
- Familiarity with data sets and thinking data-first
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development
- Hands-on experience with network diagnostics, network analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Experience in common third-party APIs (Google, Facebook, Ebay etc.)
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets with business acumen
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- A love of working in a fast paced environment
- Self-starter, avid problem solver, energetic go-getter
- Keep it Clean: you write “clean,” well-designed code that is testable.
- Roadmapping: you produce detailed, specific development plans.
- Team Player: you contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle, while interfacing with teams across the company to lead our development efforts.
- You Love to Test: you know that testing is the foundation of successful growth. You know not only HOW to test, but also WHAT to test. Yes, we test our content!
- Growth Mindset: From learning new skills to pioneering new strategies, you’re always looking to grow.
This position is fully remote. Occasional meet ups in LA for face-to-face time (approx. one time per quarter).
Brainjolt is a fun, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment that empowers its employees to work independently and drive results that greatly impact the business. Since early on, one of our go-to values has been Fight boredom, spread happiness. We strive to do this not just for our audience, but for our team, too. In addition to basic benefits, here are some additional ways we support your continued success and happiness:
- Unlimited PTO
- 401k (with matching)
- Globe Trotters (get paid to travel program)
- Home internet & mobile phone assistance
- Gym membership assistance
- 2 tickets to a concert of your choice per year
- Spotify, Netflix, & Audible subscriptions.
- Monthly Personal & business-related book budget
- Parental Leave