Files.com looking for Serverside and API (Ruby/Rails/MySQL/Redis/Elasticsearch) Developer For Files.com, a B2B Cloud Storage Service
Location: Work From Your Home for our All-Remote Company (USA only)
Do you want to work on a high volume server-side API that serves hundreds of requests per second? Are you excited about helping people and businesses collaborate more efficiently by building cutting edge tools for search and collaboration?
If so, we’d like you to learn about Files.com!
At Files.com, we’re building a cloud storage service that challenges the status quo through many unique features that really help people and businesses boost their productivity.
Our primary app and API is primarily written in Ruby on Rails (though we use Grape for APIs, not ActionController, and we don’t use Rails views at all). We have additional backend services written in Ruby, have built our own version of Resque, and heavily use things like Redis and Elasticsearch.
We are looking for Rubyists with strong backgrounds in data structures, algorithms, and scaling to join our team and help us build features into our already great app.
Read on to learn more!
Files.com is the new name for BrickFTP, a cloud storage service that has existed since 2009 and has over 1,700 paying business customers.
Our company consists of 20 (and growing to by the end of 2019) full time USA-based remote employees who work from home.
Our products and services are used by over 2,000 enterprises and SMBs, including Target, Canonical, UPS, Leica, DirecTV, GoPro, Marriott, and more.
We’re Bootstrapped, Profitable, and Growing
Our success comes from building a great service that solves problems for our customers, and our growth comes from expanding and improving our products as quickly as we can.
We believe that great products can only be built by great people. So we’re on a quest to find the smartest, most creative, and most motivated people, and create an environment in which they thrive.
We Are A Remote Company
You will work from home and have some flexibility to choose your working hours, allowing you to make time for family, recreation, vacations, or anything that is important to you.
You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. You’ll have the time to take longer vacations and have fun.
Every quarter, you’ll travel to an in-person meeting with the entire team to meet and work together face to face. These meetings are in cities that are fun to visit. In the last few years, we’ve been to Austin, Orlando, New Orleans, San Diego, Las Vegas, and New York City.
We think that these in-person meetings are vital to the success of a remote team.
About the Role
As a Serverside Developer at Files.com, you will take the lead on helping build cutting edge features into the Files.com product that drive value for the 1,700 business that use our platform for collaboration.
Our API receives hundreds of requests per second and is used by both internal and external developers.
Here are some examples of projects that our Serverside Developers will be tackling in the next 6-12 months:
- Implementing Single-Sign-On via OAuth, SAML, and SCIM.
- Implementing in-file search using Elasticsearch with custom input filters to index a plethora of document types.
- Building a scalable engine that can convert nearly any type of files to PDF for in-browser previews (like the former Crocodoc service).
- Upgrading our API documentation to be automatically generated using the OpenAPI standard, and the creation of automatically-generated SDKs.
- Building our Universal Sync engine, which is a tool that allows Files.com users to synchronize their files to other cloud services such as S3, Azure, and Rackspace.
- Building a file versioning tool that uses Git behind the scenes to give customers easy tracking of file versions.
Additionally, you’ll contribute to our ongoing projects for improving security, monitoring, and performance.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Strong Computer Science background and understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- History developing and supporting actual applications that have seen production usage with a large userbase.
- Complete understanding of how to write secure code and an awareness of common web application security vulnerabilities.
- Experience with Ruby and Rails.
- Appreciation for testing and the ability to write specs using RSpec.
- Participation in open source Ruby gem projects, including ideally being the maintainer for a Gem that sees large usage in the community.
- Strong experience working at scale.
Our Core Beliefs
We believe that the best Engineers tend to be polyglots with a wide variety of programming language experience. We don’t hire for specific programming language skills, but rather look for engineers who are fluent in several programming languages. We want our staff to be adaptable and ready to evolve to what’s next.
We believe that open-source only works if companies give back. If you work on any open-source projects during the course of your work at Files.com, you are encouraged to submit your improvements as a pull request back to the upstream project. And if you build something from scratch while working here that’s generic and not related to our core products, we want you to release that on GitHub too. We’ll also pay your travel costs to any conference where you can get a speaking gig.
We believe in building products that we actually use ourselves. We are our own toughest critics and we put all of our products through their paces every day.
Salary, Pay, and Benefits
Files.com offers industry-leading salaries based on experience combined with unparalleled flexibility and other benefits to secure top talent.
You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. Go have fun. Don’t work all the time.
We will provide you a $2,500 signing bonus to purchase a new computer, desk, or anything else that would help build or refresh your home office.
We’ll update your salary annually based on your performance, as reviewed by your peers.
We fully pay base plan health insurance premiums (exact plan details depend on your state of residence), and we’ll pick up the tab for 75% of your spouse or dependents if they wish to join your chosen plan. We want your family to be healthy.
Ready To Apply?
Working here isn’t for everyone, but if you think it might be for you and you have the required experience, please apply right here on this page.
We’d like you to write a cover letter specific to this position at Files.com. Please make sure that it contains all of the following:
- What is the largest Rails application you have personally worked on where your code is currently in production? How many users interact with it, how many servers run it, and can you share any other information about the scale at which it operates?
- What is the largest contribution you have made to Open Source Software and are there any repositories that you maintain personally?
- On a Scale of 1 to 10, please rate your knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and writing code that will scale.
You may also want to write about why this opportunity calls to you personally and why you see yourself as a good fit for Files.com.