GlobalGiving looking for Front-End Developer for Good
Are you passionate about creating easy-to-use websites? Do you thrive in an environment where you can deploy code to production every day? Do you want to work on a product that actually makes an impact on people’s lives?
GlobalGiving is looking for a Front-End Developer for Good to join our small team of developers.
Using your web development skills, you will be a part of a team that designs, codes, and oversees projects that make a positive impact for millions of people around the world. You will help us question our assumptions, think of our users, and continuously improve our website and technology stack.
You will be responsible for designing, coding, and maintaining web features on globalgiving.org that inform, inspire, thrill, and connect our users. You should be passionate about designing and coding an easy-to-use website, should thrive in an environment where you can deploy code to production every day, and want to work for an organization that’s making an impact on people’s lives.
The Front End Developer for Good will take charge of new projects and features and see them through from (sometimes) loosely defined requirements to research, prototyping, testing, implementation, launch, and long-term maintenance. He or she needs to have the ability to juggle tasks, work with customers, and meet deadlines.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Web Development: Create responsive web pages using cross-browser compliant frameworks that will be used by donors, organizations, companies, and internal staff.
- Integrate All the Layers: Integrate front-end code with back-end (developed in Java) by working collaboratively with software engineers. Experience with browser layout, cross-browser development practices, and browser degradation strategies a plus.
- Design: Strong experience implementing modern web UIs that delight users, including working with designers to bring responsive webpages to life from design comps.
- User Experience: Improve the experience of our product for all users—including donors, project partners, corporate partners, and staff—by simplifying processes, questioning existing workflows, and simplifying/improving interfaces.
- Frameworks: Develop robust, fault-tolerant features with front-end frameworks, and help us advance our own systems to modern architectures that serve our users’ needs. Experience with frameworks like React or Svelt a plus.
- Multi-task: As a small team, there’s always a lot of exciting things to do. You’ll need to be good at balancing one or two long-term projects, several smaller feature requests, and an urgent bug fix or two. Experience working in a Scrum environment a plus.
- Moving 1s and 0s: Understanding of how to work with source control (git), continuous development tools (gulp), and familiarity with tracking tasks and progress using bug tracking tools (JIRA).
- Continuous Improvement: Research and identify new technologies, tools or techniques that improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving’s website or operations/processes. Help us know what we don’t know. We’ll send you to conferences and other professional development opportunities to assist.
- Customer Service: Customer service is not a key focus, but it’s a great way to learn while “wowing” our customers, both internal and external, and performing your share of daily site upkeep and maintenance.
- Motivated Self: Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced while bringing your own sense of humor, desire to change the world, and your passion for <fill in the blank>.
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- 1-3 (for Junior level applicants) or 3+ years of relevant work experience, completion of an immersive front-end development course (such as General Assembly). Bachelors Degree in any field that you can apply to this job (business, marketing, international studies, or similar) a plus.
- A love for shipping software frequently, helping users, and improving upon what you’ve built.
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others’ ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills, creativity, and flexibility; comfort building and maintaining web pages.
- Ability to translate business requirements into well-designed webpages.
- Ability to collaborate with graphic designers and back end web developers to turn a mockup into a functional, dynamic website that users love.
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving, the vision to help us advance it, and commitment to our core values.
This is a full-time position and reports to our Chief Product Officer. We welcome candidates who want to work in our Washington, D.C. office as well as US-based candidates who will work remotely. Salary range is $70k-$95k, negotiable based on skill and experience.
Benefits include flexible work hours, remote work options, a family-friendly culture, fully-stocked refrigerator with drinks, a convenient downtown DC location, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, “Today, my work helped 182 girls go to school for a year” (one of many true stories). And don’t worry – we’ve also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, 25 days of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and more.
Click below link to apply for this job: