Hi, thanks for reading about our Front-end Engineer opportunity! We’re glad you’re here.
We’re Knack, a code-free platform used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies — to easily build custom apps, workflows, and databases.
Knack is a 100% remote company, with a flat, consensus-driven culture. That means a huge amount of autonomy and ownership to define your work and impact, and the opportunity to have a major impact here is a huge one.
We also emphasize the journey over the destination. We’re looking for applicants that are opinionated about what matters to them, and want to join a fun, passionate, close-knit team of high-quality human beings that above all enjoy working together. Hopefully that’s you!
Role & Responsibilities
As Knack’s lead front-end engineer, you’ll help build a product that makes doing hard things with data easy-and a joy to use.
- You’ll lead the architecture and coding of our product’s front-end interface and user experience.
- You’ll work with Vue, ES6, and HTML/CSS to build and maintain new Knack features.
- You’ll help develop and maintain a component library of design patterns and style guides in collaboration with design and product teams.
- You’ll code every day. Although we expect technical and product leadership, everyone at Knack is deeply invested in their craft and enjoys executing on a daily basis.
- You’ll be a resource and mentor for the engineering team to level-up on front-end practices to ensure the entire team can be productive developing product features.
- You’ll play a key role in developing feature specs by bridging intent and execution. You’ll collaborate with product and design teams, and you’re comfortable sharing feedback and explaining executional tradeoffs.
Here are some of the “must haves” to be successful in this role:
- You love turning complex business requirements into working software that delights users. Nothing excites you more than seeing the real impact your work makes in the lives of thousands of customers.
- You have min 3+ yrs of experience doing front-end development for a software product at scale.
- You have direct experience with modern reactive frameworks: preferably Vue, or a desire to leverage React experience to master Vue.
- You take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You are comfortable explaining decisions, defending your logic, and providing feedback to others in the service of making our team and product better.
Here are a few other hints that you might be the person we’re looking for (you match up with a number of these):
- You have a sense of humor, a sense of humility, and take your work much more seriously than you take yourself.
- You’re proud of the code you write, but you’re also pragmatic: you know when it is time to refactor, and when it’s time to ship. You know that the ultimate arbiter of your code is a delighted customer.
- You have the drive and focus to get challenging projects over the finish line, and you are comfortable advocating for what you need to do your best work.
- You have experience and thrive in a flat, consensus-driven work environment that emphasizes both autonomy and accountability.
- You know when to do something yourself and when to ask for help. You understand the importance of ruthless prioritization.
- You are totally okay with big swings, wild experiments, and learning through failure.
- Front-end: ES6, Vue, Vuex, Vue Router, Webpack
- Components & Design: Storybook, Atomic design, Saas, Post CSS, CSS Modules
- Testing: Mocha Unit Tests, Cypress.js, Ghost Inspector
- Back-end: Node.js, Mongo, SQL, Redis, AWS
Knack launched in 2012 with one simple goal: to enable everyone to do amazing things with their data.
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
We’ve been growing steadily since as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of high-quality human beings that above all enjoy working together.
These benefits aren’t that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- Equal opportunity: we push everyone to maximize their impact on our product and company—we strongly value all of our people, regardless of title or seniority.
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what’s important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, books, and workshops.
- Attend industry conferences that are meaningful to you.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We review applications in batches, so don’t worry if you don’t hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We’re also big believers in paid trials when logistically possible.
Please note that we can currently only accept applications from those qualified to work in the US.