Manifold looking for Senior Back-end Developer (Remote)
Manifold is helping developers break free from the closed ecosystems of the cloud and into a more open, standards based community of services and APIs. Our marketplace connects applications, wherever they are hosted, to independent cloud services made by developers who care.
We are looking for an experienced, collaborative Go developer to inspire us, teach us, and bring our architecture and coding forward.
Our partially distributed team is fun-loving, knowledgeable, and extremely productive. We’re organized to let you explore and grow a variety of skills and capabilities, with many chances to create a significant impact. Many of us have strong ties to the open-source world, and have experience building tools at companies like Heroku, Red Hat, LinkedIn, and Canonical.
We value diversity and supporting a distributed culture. Gender diversity is currently about one quarter. About half of the company work outside of the home Halifax, Canada office, including product, software development, and design leaders.
What you’ll do
- Help lead a friendly, supportive culture that encourages you and the entire company to improve as developers, teams, and people.
- Be a model and mentor for building well-architected, performant, well-tested, and understandable code.
- Manage technical debt. Help us find the right corners to cut for speed, and the right problems to invest in for maintainability.
- Be passionate about our mission, and help us imagine Manifold’s future. Work closely with design and product in short design-first iteration.
- Be curious. Learn, practice, share, and improve our knowledge and best practices in technologies, security, software development, design and collaboration.
What you’ll need
- Strong communication skills with a team centric approach to discussion and decision-making. Empathy and respect for others, with “strong opinions loosely held.”
- Enough experience deploying and operating server-side code that you have empathy for the users of our service.
- Expertise in Go, API design, and microservices. Knowledge of OpenAPI, PostgreSQL or other databases, and gRPC is also very valuable.
- Full command of Git, GitHub, the terminal, continuous deployment and integration, and other modern fundamentals.
- Devops experience is very nice to have. Experience with containers and container orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad) is especially nice to have. Experience extending Kubernetes and working with the Kubernetes APIs would be amazing.
- Experience working in a global, distributed team is very nice to have.
- Our frontend is written in React; React experience is nice to have.
We’re looking for
Testing, API Development, DevOps, Distributed Systems, Empathy, Go
A little bit about us
We’re a venture-backed company that is distributed around North America. Our home base is Halifax, Nova Scotia. We have a shared passion for making developers’ lives easier. Our backgrounds reflect that, having worked at npm, Red Hat, Heroku, LinkedIn, Canonical, and more.
- flexible working hours
- 15 days of vacation your first year that you will be encouraged to use
- statutory/federal holidays, plus the whole company takes the last week of the year off
- yearly professional development allowance of $2,000 towards education, training, conferences, or any education tool that helps your career
- excellent health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family that starts on your first day of work
- health and wellness allowance
- home office allowance for remote workers
- up to 16 weeks fully paid maternity or paternity leave after one year at Manifold, with additional 8 weeks of unpaid leave if necessary
- use of a laptop, large monitor, and equipment for everyone, remote or at our office
If you’re in the United States, we also offer 401(k) for pre-tax retirement savings, although contributions are unmatched at this early stage in the company’s growth.
We care about our code of conduct and ask all of our employees to abide by it.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
We believe you should work where you’re most productive. If you want to join us in our cozy office in Halifax, Nova Scotia, you’d be welcome! We’d love to have you. If you’re remote, you’re also welcome! For meetings, we’d strongly prefer you be within four hours of the Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5) which means as far west as the Pacific Time Zone and as far east as Brazil, Argentina, and Greenland.
How to Apply
Please apply here, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.