Nexleaf Analytics looking for Senior Software Engineer – Remote
Nexleaf’s mission is to preserve human life and protect our planet by using data gathered from the hardest to reach places on the earth. Through IoT and AI technology, our team is building data-driven insights that serve vaccination, clean cooking, and newborn care initiatives in under-resourced countries around the world.
Partnering with leading organizations such as Google.org and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, we help deliver safe vaccines to over 12.5 million babies annually, and reduce carbon emissions by connecting rural homesteads to cleaner cooking methods.
Our impact doesn’t stop there – we’re funded by Google AI to explore other applications of leading edge technology towards social good. Join our team of insatiable learners, humble truth seekers and most importantly, people who fiercely challenge how things are done as part of a shared, unwavering commitment to creating lasting impact for future generations.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will help us achieve scale and impact by serving as a leader on a team that designs and develops the core code of our cloud-based web service. This service collects and analyzes data gathered from the hardest to reach places on the earth and you’ll be building dashboards (front and back-end) that are connected to tens of thousands of IoT/M2M devices across multiple applications, used by important stakeholders like Ministries of Health, global agencies and partner NGOs. To do this you’ll learn the architecture of our existing system, implement new features, revise existing features, test and work on production deployment with a shared goal of making sure everyone on the team is succeeding.
In this role you will:
- Utilize your understanding of company strategy to work closely with program and field staff across 5 countries to assess needs and requirements
- Drive technical decision making: evaluate design and architecture decisions for scale
- Make well-reasoned design decisions, identifying potential issues, tradeoffs, risks, and the appropriate level of abstraction
- Own large components/modules of the system
- Ensure APIs follow best practices and align with system goals
- Identify gaps across all aspects of the system and helping triage and break down the problems
- Drive and significantly contribute to code reviews of pull requests
- We have a small, dedicated team at Nexleaf and we all work together to define priorities and plan implementations. We also have individual dev servers and provide a choice of Linux, Mac or Windows development environment.
As part of our remote team, we offer:
- Flexible hours, and the chance to work in the time zone you’re located in.
- Quarterly company sponsored travel for team-building and collaboration.
- Company sponsored equipment and workplace set-up.
- College degree
- Python: 4+ years on larger projects
- Ability to work from the office a majority of the time (with flexibility for telecommuting or working remote)
- Self-starter who will bring experience, leadership and hit the ground running
- Relevant experience deploying features of the backend and frontend into production on Linux based systems.
- Handles open-ended problems & ambiguity well
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with using AWS
- Basic data processing and analysis experience
Nexleaf’s Employee Value Proposition
1. Be a Maker
a. You’re willing to take risks, roll up your sleeves, and iterate on solutions to see your ideas come to life.
b. You can work directly with founders to design and execute new ideas.
c. You take initiative, and have worked collaboratively and respectfully with internal and external partners to move mountains.
2. Innovate for Impact
a. You are motivated by social impact and making a difference in the world.
b. You want to be on the cutting edge of technology for development, revolutionizing sectors to help the poorest people in the world.
c. You can come up with creative new solutions to old problems.
3. Build Capacity
a. You are always striving to build your own, your team’s, and your client’s capacity through learning and teaching.
b. You’re not afraid to ask questions, and you’re never too busy to answer someone else’s.
c. You seek a diverse work environment where you are treated with respect and challenged to grow both professionally and as a person.
4. Do More with Data
a. You believe in the power of data and want to empower others to make decisions with their data.
b. You operate with integrity, base your arguments in facts and figures, and keep an open door & open data policy.
c. You can solve problems from the bottom-up just as well as from the top-down.
Nexleaf Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local law.