pi-top looking for Front End Developer (Remote or Onsite)
pi-top’s mission isn’t just to change the face of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) in schools, it’s to change the education system itself.
In many classrooms, people learn by ‘instructionism’ – teachers deliver information to learners who have to memorise it and repeat it back later in some sort of test. This isn’t learning, it’s remembering, and it’s useless for equipping people with the practical skills and experience they need to face an ever-changing world. We believe in something better…
Social Constructionism is a learning-centred approach that prioritises exploring, making and iterating real-life STEAM projects in a social, collaborative way. Our award-winning pi-top computers are powered by the Raspberry Pi and come with a host of projects and accessories which allow any teacher, regardless of their computer literacy, to design fun and engaging lessons across STEAM subjects and beyond. Learners are empowered to work together, at their own pace, designing and refining their inventions by asking questions and ultimately Learning by Making.
Since our founding in 2014, we have built a strong global community of teachers and makers who constantly shape our worksheets, lesson plans and content. We provide access to hundreds of hours of educational resources for the Computer Science (CS) and STEAM curriculum that improves digital literacy.
However, we’ve only just got started, and this is where you come in. Our roadmap for the next few years is ambitious, and we need talented engineers with an agile mindset. We’re an open, honest and playful company made up of great people from a variety of different backgrounds and places, all united in our commitment to positively improve the way we teach, learn and live. By joining pi-top, you’re helping change the world for the better, because together, We Make The Future.
We’re looking for someone to
- Build our web based products to help change the face of STEAM education.
- Work collaboratively with our London-based software team and within the broader cross-disciplinary engineering team.
- Work as part of our product team alongside product managers, designers, pedagogy and content teams, to find technical solutions to tackle the problems faced by educators implementing computer science and STEAM based curriculums in their classroom.
Projects you’ll likely be contributing to
- pi-top Further, our tool for educators to create and deliver physical computing and project based learning curriculums to their students using pi-top
- Developing new green-field projects and prototypes and experimenting with new technologies
Skills we’re after
- Attention to detail in creating great experiences for our users.
- A passion for great quality, well tested code.
- Experience building user interfaces with React, or another client side framework.
- Strong HTML/CSS skills, and knowledge of the modern web ecosystem.
- Familiarity with Flux application architecture and experience using one of its implementations (e.g. Redux)
- Experience working with REST APIs.
- Experience working collaboratively with git and GitHub (or similar).
- Flexibility! We’re a fast-growing company, so we’re looking for individuals that can adapt to new challenges as we continue on our journey.
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience.
- Design or UX experience.
- Prior experience building products for education.
- Interest in hardware and physical computing, particularly with Raspberry Pi.
- A passion for learning by making.
Cool stuff you’ll get to do
- 10% of your time set aside to learn new tech, or work on passion projects.
- Access to our in-house makerspace with tools, components and materials.
- Travel to events and conferences around the world, helping run workshops for on physical computing. (Only if you like, though; no pressure if this isn’t your bag, or your commitments don’t allow for travel).
Competitive Salary & benefits
As a learning company, our overall goal is to support the development of well-rounded, creative, collaborative, technically proficient problem-solvers. We strongly believe this for users of the pi-top ecosystem as well as for our pi-top team worldwide.
Our office environment is friendly, relaxed and fun, but highly productive. We have vast amounts of communal space to engage with colleagues and find time to unwind. Our flexible working hours give us the freedom to pace the workload for the day. We also have regular company socials for people coming to the office in London.