Silverorange looking for Front-end Web developer
Silverorange is an 18-person design and development agency based in Canada. Our focus is on interesting and meaningful projects. We’ve worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations working in areas including arts funding and discounted internet access, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education. The founding members of our team have been together for twenty years, and during that time we’ve focused as much on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a wonderful work environment as we have on our commitment to building great user-focused systems.
We’re looking for an intermediate-level front-end web developer to join our team. You’ll start your silverorange career focused on a client in the medical education field, helping us update and improve a series of related websites.
If you’re interested in the position but are concerned about having limited qualifications or experience, we encourage you to apply. Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. Similarly, we are excited by fresh ideas from you. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to that mix.
Applications are accepted until August 26th, at which point we’ll be in touch with only those people we shortlist. This position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply—we’d love to hear from you.
- Reviewing code and content changes from other developers on the project.
- Working from mockups (Sketch, Figma, Photoshop, etc.), wireframes, and design systems.
- Communicating with team members and clients to understand and balance requirements.
- Identifying and helping to address accessibility issues in Web systems.
- Writing tests for your work.
- Be a resident of, and available to work from Canada.
- Be able to work with and help to improve existing CSS methodologies, structure, and frameworks including home-grown systems and common frameworks like Bootstrap and Ant Design.
- Have some experience using CSS preprocessors like LESS or SASS.
- Have some experience using version control systems like git to manage changes.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time-zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in PEI, Quebec, BC, Nova Scotia, and Ecuador.
While not required, let us know if you have any of the following skills:
- Sketch or Illustrator wireframing experience.
- Mastering assets (SVG and/or PNG) from Sketch or Illustrator for use on the Web.
- Some experience writing and running simple SQL statements to check and update database values.
- Experience using a front-end library or framework like Vue, React, or Angular.
Remote Working is Just as Good as Local
This position can be remote, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Currently half of our team and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with remote clients and co-workers regardless of your location.
If you plan to work remotely, we will fly you to Charlottetown for your first week of work. All employees spend some time each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great small but growing team, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people you’ll be working with.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work hours.
- 3 weeks of vacation, on top of 9 days of civic holidays and 3 weeks of company-wide shut down.
- Health and dental coverage.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salary starting at CAD $51,000+ per year depending on experience, with an expectation of career growth.
- Remote worker stipend of CAD $3,000 per year.
How to Apply?
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line Front and center, a brief overview of your qualifications, links to relevant examples of recent work (GitHub or an equivalent profile is a great place to start), and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence that you’re comfortable sharing—such as a blog, Twitter, Facebook—send it along.