Skillcrush is on the hunt for a Front End WordPress Developer to join our Product Development team!
The Product Development team at Skillcrush is made up of designers, developers, and testers who collaborate with every team to build a product that supports students in transforming their careers.
Our current Front End WordPress Developer will be on leave this summer and we’re looking for an additional team member to help us develop new features and iterate on the Skillcrush product while he’s away.
This is a full-time, five-month contract ideally starting in May 2019.
As a Front End WordPress Developer, you will first and foremost be responsible for working with our designers to translate their designs and wireframes into beautifully coded, fully-functional web pages and features on our WordPress websites. You’ll also work closely with the team to architect solutions to more complex technical problems.
This a mid-level role not suitable for junior developers.
- Work closely with designers to translate designs and wireframes into web pages and features in the context of WordPress
- Assist Director of Product & Back-End Developer with architecting solutions to more complex problems & projects in the context of WordPress
- Work with QA Tester to ensure code is test-friendly
- Follow and improve the team’s defined code quality standards and best practices
- Adapt to and follow the team’s Scrum process
- Participate in technical design discussions, scrum planning, and all-team meetings
- Participate in team’s discovery process by attending user interviews, as needed
- Help other teams better understand tools and improve processes
- Available for occasional but regular on-call rotation to handle off hours critical support issues
- Provide documentation and appropriate training (wiki, screencast, workshop) for new features
- Deep understanding of HTML and CSS
- Experience with templating in PHP and WordPress
- Experience using Git on a commercial development team
- Understanding of test-driven development
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Access to a reliable, high-speed Internet connection
- Available to work at least 4 hours within 9am-5pm Eastern Time Zone
- Understanding of Webpack or other JS bundlers
- Knowledge of custom WordPress plugins
- Experience working on an Agile/Scrum development team
- Experience working in a remote environment with team members in different time zones
- Flexible, remote work
- Free access to all the Skillcrush classes you can eat
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
- $55-70/hr, commensurate with experience
Skillcrush is a rapidly growing online tech education company that offers online classes on a variety of technological topics.
At Skillcrush, we have built an open and cooperative environment. We hire who we want to work with, but also who think differently than us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of their age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin (or current home base), sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, family status, time zone, geography, musical preferences, or college football allegiances. We think a diverse team builds a better product and a better company!
Although based in New York City, the Skillcrush team is a remote company and welcomes job applicants from all over the world.
How to Apply
We want to make sure your application gets the consideration it deserves. This means we can only accept your application via the link below. Please do not send your application materials or follow-ups to Skillcrush or Skillcrush employees via email or social media.
And don’t worry! We will respond to every application we get via this form. So you’ll hear from us about the position either way, as soon as we’ve reviewed all applicants.