Preferred Timezone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time +/- 2 hours
Office Location: Winston-Salem, NC.Employees can also work full time from this office.
Sweb Development is seeking an experienced web developer based in or within driving distance of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This position reports to the Chief Production Officer.
Qualified candidates will have several years of experience in front end and PHP development, with a strong desire to join a small and nimble team where collaboration, creative problem solving, and professional growth are consistently valued.
Our ideal candidate has expertise in all or most of the following:
- Responsive WordPress development, including developing custom WordPress plugins and themes and working with the WordPress REST API
- Developing and maintaining basic custom RESTful APIs, written in PHP
- [More infrequent; ideal but not required] Deploying LAMP applications to Amazon Web Services (AWS), particularly using Cognito, Lambda, DynamoDB, S3, and SES
- Maintaining source control through GIT
Our ideal candidate is knowledgeable but humble. They have a deep understanding of the trade-offs involved in a large project: budget, time, client expectations, performance, business objectives, maintainability etc. They are a solid team player who wants to support everyone else in the company to achieve our clients’ goals. They are patient and excited about helping junior team members learn and grow. Most of all, our ideal candidate has an open mind and a passion for problem-solving
This role involves approximately:
- 60% greenfield development — building new modern WordPress sites, APIs, and custom web applications (often built atop WordPress)
- 20% problem solving with other members of our design, development, and project management teams — tackling particularly difficult bugs or challenging requirements in new or existing sites
- 10% maintaining existing sites in our portfolio, including bug fixes, enhancements, and optimizations/technology upgrades
- 10% analysis and research for new business prospects and proposals — determining feasibility and scope, researching potential alternatives, and identifying risks
The developer must be capable of clearly and empathetically communicating with our team: discussing potential approaches to a new project with the business development team; understanding design goals with the creative team; working with the project management team to manage deadlines, budgets, and roadblocks. Our ideal candidate writes clearly, expresses their ideas well in client or internal meetings, and strives to put themselves in the client’s (and the client’s customer’s) shoes.
Our team leans on all of our developers to collectively determine code style, recommended open-source and third-party components, and implement business and design goals to achieve performant and high quality sites, web apps, and APIs.
The developer takes responsibility for the quality of their code and works diligently to identify and resolve bugs and defects before handing a project over to other testers. This role is the trusted emergency responder in rare instances when catastrophe strikes and a site goes down or a large issue is uncovered that requires urgent attention.