Territory Foods looking for BACKEND SOFTWARE ENGINEER (REMOTE)
We’re a platform for the next generation of wellness, focused on the hardest problem — personalized nutrition. We sell fresh food for Food Tribes (representing 39% of the U.S. population, including whole30, gluten-free, paleo, ketogenic, vegan, and vegetarian).
We’re direct-to-consumer ecommerce with differentiated distribution, partnering with leading Fitness Tribes as local pickup spots (including yoga, cycling and CrossFit studios as well as boutique and high-end health clubs).
We lead with purpose and intention, just like our customers. We’re operating in four markets (DC, DFW, SoCal and the Bay Area). In each, we work with amazing chefs using responsibly-sourced ingredients to create healthy meals that our customers rely on to undergird their health & wellness goals.
At Territory, we believe that our people and culture are our biggest assets. Because of our passion for wellness, community development and entrepreneurship, we want to have the best team members who not only believe in this mission, but live it too. Our remote operating model allows us to have a strong team of cutting-edge thinkers around the USA who provide diverse and innovative ideas.
About the Role
We’re looking for someone with a passion for programming and for writing beautiful code. You will join a team of exceptional developers working in a fast-paced environment to deliver world-class software. We are working on some interesting problems and need minds to help scale up our team and software.
Our software is about delivering meals to our growing customer base in the most frictionless way possible. As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be responsible for writing and refactoring code that ensures our core eCommerce functions such as order fulfillment, payment processing, user management, etc. are of the highest reliability and scalability standards.
Overall, you will be expected to compile and analyze data, processes, and code to troubleshoot problems and identify areas for improvement as well as collaborate with the front-end developers and other team members to establish objectives and design more functional, cohesive code to enhance the user experience.
- Write clean, maintainable and efficient code
- Design robust, scalable and secure features that solve complex problems
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Work with other engineering team members and product manager to help plan the quarterly roadmap and biweekly sprints
- Respond to escalated CS issues, helping find out what went wrong, how to fix, and how we can do better next time
- Communicate often and effectively with your team members and the rest of the company
- Be pumped about learning and adjusting course to continuously improve on user systems
- Identify opportunities to refactor and improve code quality
- Deliver on your promises and get the job done using your creativity and know-how
Your Mindset & Experience
You are a team first engineer looking for ways to bring elegant, clean technology to life. You consider yourself a catalyst for good and part of that is elevating the people around you. You are not afraid to break things, and when you do you treat it not only as a learning opportunity but a teaching one too. You are hungry to learn and know that part of learning is reaching outside your comfort zone. You want to be part of a high-growth enterprise that’s trying to make a significant difference in the world where you can play a key role.
- 5+ years work experience as a Ruby on Rails developer
- Proven work experience in agile software development
- eCommerce solutions experience
- Experience developing web APIs
- Experience with background job processing
- A firm grasp of object oriented analysis and design
- Passion for writing simple, clean, efficient code
- Good knowledge of relational databases, especially Postgresql
- Heroku: You should know how to deploy + maintain apps; when to scale resources
- Continuous integration: GitHub branching/PRs, automated testing, Semaphore CI, whatever it takes to ship often, reliably, and confidently. We use a combo of Rspec, Capybara, and Teaspoon/Jasmine for testing
- Remote work is second-nature to you
Some nitty gritty that matters
- We’re much more results-oriented than we are time-oriented
- Every team member gets free chow in exchange for detailed feedback on our meals
- We have a fun, amazing group of employees, and a casual workplace
- We are a distributed remote team working across all timezones in the US, so we work flexible hours and live on Slack
- We offer competitive compensation & benefits including health, dental & vision insurance and 401k. Benefits also include food, phone and fitness reimbursement
- We believe at our core that the most important thing for anyone is to do challenging work that you’re naturally drawn to with a team you dig in order to make a meaningful difference in the world
How to get rolling
How to Apply?
Apply here with your resume and some thoughts about what grabbed you about this operations goodness. Unfortunately, we can only accept US applicants at this time.