WebDevStudios looking for Backend Engineer
We’re searching for a Backend Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Employment type: Full-time
You are primarily responsible for developing and modifying the data layer of WordPress plugins, themes, and web applications according to specifications outlined by the client and defined a Lead Engineer during a Discovery Phase.
Backend Engineers work alongside Frontend Engineers, Project Leads, Project Managers, and other partners during the entire development lifecycle of a project, as well as a supporting the project after it ships.
Learn more about what it’s like to be part of the gang at WebDevStudios.
QUALITIES THAT MATTER TO OUR TEAM:
- A positive attitude, a good work ethic, and enjoy helping others.
- Not afraid to ask for help, teachable, a quick study, and have the ability to be flexible when “stuff happens.”
- Understand deadlines and can complete a variety of tasks throughout the week.
- Willing to participate in company paid training courses to further their skills.
- Excited about contributing back to open-source technologies.
- Comfortable communicating via Slack and participating in video calls with their team while working remotely.
- Assist Frontend engineers with the server-side web application data while following WDS Code Standards.
- Optimize web applications and assets for maximum speed, scalability, and maintainability.
- Meet documented deadlines and complete tasks in accordance to project milestones.
- Work directly with Senior or Lead Engineers on feature validation and code reviews.
- Communicate the status of your work to Project Managers and participate in a project team and department calls.
- Keep an accurate record of your time with our time tracking software.
- Be available during normal business hours.
- Able to work remotely, with a strong emphasis on communication and organizational skills.
- You have 2+ years professional experience as a Backend Engineer.
- You have a strong grasp of WordPress plugin and theme structure, template tags, custom post meta, internationalization, and escaping/sanitization of data.
- You are knowledgeable in writing performant data queries.
- You have a strong understanding of Git version control and branching strategies.
- You have a strong comprehension of PHP and object-oriented programming (OOP) practices.
- Experience with MySQL.
- Experience with accessibility standards.
- Experience using the terminal/command line.
- Experience with build tools such as Composer, Webpack and Gulp.
It’s not required, but experience or interest in learning the following would be nice:
- Automattic’s starter theme, _s or our starter theme, wd_s
- WebDevStudios plugin generator
- WordPress plugins like:
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Beaver Builder
- Gravity Forms
- Yoast SEO
- REST APIs, especially the WordPress REST API
- Dress code: pajamas, if you like.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Full-time employees enjoy benefits such as Medical/Dental/Vision, Paid Time Off, 401K, and more!
- Pay rate is based on experience and abilities.
- Lots and lots of informal GIF sharing.
OH, THE BENEFITS
We know the value in supporting our employees’ holistic well-being, and we make sure our benefits package reflects our commitment to our team.
- 100% Paid Medical
- Paid Sick Leave
- Unlimited Flex Time
- 25 days paid time off
- Work from anywhere
- Employee 401k
- Continuing Education
- Parental Leave
- Annual Company Retreat
*No third parties or outsourcing agencies will be considered, but we are open to worldwide applicants!
WebDevStudios is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We give each application consideration, but please do be patient as we go through all of the applications received. We will read them all and will be contacting eligible applicants within the next week or two.